(This plan is partly based on the ICSE 2019 Diversity and Inclusion Plan by Jo Atlee.)
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are central to the goals of the IEEE Computer Society and ACM, and all of their conferences.
- Equity at its heart is about removing barriers, biases, and obstacles that impede equal access and opportunity to succeed.
- Diversity goals aim to progress towards a research community and conference population that reflects the diversity of society.
- Inclusion is about creating a conference program and environment that is free from discrimination and where every participant feels welcome, included, respected, and safe.
In order to promote the above goals of equity, diversity, and inclusion, ASE 2019 aims for
- Committee diversity – recruit qualified members of the organization committee, members of technical committees, and reviewers such that (1) the resulting populations are diverse with respect to gender, home institutions, geography, and research expertise; and (2) committees’ memberships vary from those in previous years.
- Speaker diversity – recruit invited speakers and panelists from diverse populations, backgrounds, and research areas within software engineering, to increase diversity in thinking and perspective.
- Mitigate biases – promote double-blind reviewing, as a means to mitigate subconscious biases against national origin, gender, sexual orientation, and race.
- Student travel awards – in addition to merit and need, decisions about student travel awards will consider diversity with respect to gender, age, geography, and research area.
In addition, the ASE 2019 conference has appointed Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging Chairs who will help define goals for ASE’s diversity and inclusion efforts, develop plans for achieving these goals, and measure the progress.
IEEE Computer Society Open Conference Statement
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are central to the goals of the IEEE Computer Society and all of its conferences. Equity at its heart is about removing barriers, biases, and obstacles that impede equal access and opportunity to succeed. Diversity is fundamentally about valuing human differences and recognizing diverse talents. Inclusion is the active engagement of Diversity and Equity.
A goal of the IEEE Computer Society is to foster an environment in which all individuals are entitled to participate in any IEEE Computer Society activity free of discrimination. For this reason, the IEEE Computer Society is firmly committed to team compositions in all sponsored activities, including but not limited to, technical committees, steering committees, conference organizations, standards committees, and ad hoc committees that display Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
IEEE Computer Society meetings, conferences and workshops must provide a welcoming, open and safe environment, that embraces the value of every person, regardless of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, religion, national origin, ancestry, or disability. All individuals are entitled to participate in any IEEE Computer Society activity free of discrimination, including harassment based on any of the above factors.